As the evolution of home design progresses, home-owners now prefer hardwood floors. Many factors are contributing to this, but we shouldn’t get into that now, we should only focus on the suitable vacuum cleaners for your hardwood floors. Or maybe for every type of hard floor in general. And as discussed earlier, canister vacuum cleaners are the ideal vacuum for hard floor types. But before we review the best vacuum to buy, there are more factors also to consider, so that you will be able to choose a precise model of canister vacuum.
Things To Consider Before Buying a Canister Vacuum
Though all vacuum cleaners are modeled to handle necessary cleaning irrespective of floor types. If you want to maximize the efficiency in cleaning your home, then you should pay attention to these factors before choosing a canister vacuum.
Bag or Bagless?
The canister vacuum model also has two sub-models, which are bag or bagless. This indicates whether the vacuum comes with dust bag or not. To explain in the purest form, the bagged models collect dust and fine particles in an attached bag.While bagless collects everything in the main canister. Bagless models require dumping the trash frequently because the provided canister will fill up soon. The bagged model, even without a filter, produces less dust, and you can clean for a longer time before having to dispose off the dirt.
Is your Home made of only Hard Floors?
Consider if the ratio of rug or carpet in your home is higher than hard floors. Buying a vacuum that is suitable for the hard floor will not make sense when the former is higher. Well, unless you plan on buying another vacuum for carpets or rugs. Or better still buy for hard floors.
However, there are one-fits-all types of canister vacuum cleaners you can purchase. These vacuums come with replaceable heads suitable for various types of floors and adjustable controls to suit. But if your home is 100%, hard floors review other factors below.
What type of Hard Floor?
Hard floors range from pure concrete to ceramic tile, marble, terrazzo, clay, brick, hardwood, and so on. You need to identify your floor type and know the tolerance of the flooring material. Is it a floor that scratches easily? Can it get cracked easily? Providing answers to all these questions will help you zero in on the best canister vacuum to buy.
It is most likely that you will be dragging the vacuum around while cleaning. And some manufacturers have provided measures to ensure that their products don’t scratch your floor. For example, some canister vacuum comes with soft rubber wheels for floors that are susceptible to scratches, e.g., hardwood floors. In addition to the smooth wheels, some manufacturers go to the extent of including plastic gliders at the base of the cleaner. The ultimate aim is not to scratch your floor as much as possible.
Furthermore, some floors have linings and gaps. This implies you will have to go for canister vacuums with more suction power to extract dirt and debris trapped within the gaps.
What is the Structure of your Home?
Is your home multi-floor? What is the total number of rooms in your home? You need to answer these questions so that you can go for vacuum cleaners that you can quickly move around while cleaning. If you live in a multi-floor building, consider the stress of moving heavy vacuum upstairs to clean the upper floors. Also, consider the size of staircases and the wideness of doorways so that you will not buy a vacuum cleaner that is not useful for you.
What Type of Dirt do you intend to clean with a Vacuum Cleaner?
This may seem insignificant at first thought, but examine it carefully, it makes perfect sense. Not all vacuums are modeled to clean the type of dirt. Some can handle more significant trash such as papers, nylons, etc. while others can only handle dust and fine particles. This factor may also be influenced by which room in the house you want to use the vacuum cleaner in. For example, if you are buying a vacuum cleaner for the purpose of using it in the kitchen, then you need a vacuum that can handle more significant wastes and sometimes wet/liquid wastes.
Another seemingly insignificant factor, but consider if your co-tenant will tolerate noise generated while cleaning. You will surely avoid this by opting for canister vacuums with generates less noise, but even this type of vacuum has better ability to muffle sound more than one another. So you should look out for sound muffling feature while purchasing your canister vacuum cleaner.
The Best Canister Vacuum Cleaners – Top 10 Picks
Before we even begin our list, we would like you to have a glance on to the best picks for specific categories.
Best Overall – Eureka Mighty Mite
Best Bagless Canister Vacuum – Bissell Hard Floor Expert 1547
Best Lightweight Canister Vacuum – Oreck Commercial BB900DGR XL
Best Budget – Bissell Zing Bagged Canister
Best Canister vacuum for Pet Hair – Dyson Cinetic Big Ball
Most Powerful – Miele C1 Pure Suction
#1 Eureka Mighty Mite 3670G
Price is not the only feature that attracts people to this vacuum cleaner, portability also does. At an average price of US$70, this vacuum cleaner weighs roughly 9 pounds. It weighs 50% less than most vacuum cleaners you may have come across. This cleaner best represent the sayings ‘small but mighty’. It may be small in physical size, but its 10 amps powered engine can handle any floor type. The lightweight feature makes it usable outdoors for cleaning hard surfaces, even vehicles.
Eureka Mighty Mite 3670G makes cleaning a leisure activity. The controls give you full maneuverability, and the wand is long enough to keep you standing straight while cleaning, well unless you are exceptionally tall. Though this vacuum cleaner can clean various type of floor, it excels in cleaning hardwood floors, tiles, etc.
- Cheap; costs US$70
- Include additional tools such as crevice tool, dusting brush, etc
- Comes with blower ports for blowing dust.
- Easy-to-access controls; located at the handle of the wand
- Extensive cord; extensible up to 20 feet
- Comes with a dust bag for quick dumping of debris
- Small front wheels impend mobility on soft floors.
- 20-feet cord, stretched too far may tangle or break off
Why Pick This – Eureka Mighty Mite 3670G is suitable for home and garage; it is lightweight, can suction dust and can blow away dust.
#2 Miele Compact C1 Pure Suction Canister Vacuum
Also known as Miele compact C1; the extensive customizable feature is what makes Miele Pure Suction Canister Vacuum exceptional. This cleaner has a lot of functionalities you can tune to the current need. Ranging from the 6-steps dial control to the foot switch located on the nozzle, you can switch the functionality and performance of this cleaner within seconds. The telescopic suction wand is capable of extracting even the tiniest particle.
The canister vacuum possesses high suction power that will get rid of embedded dirt such as pets’ hair on the rug, gummy substance, and so on. It works fine on rugs and carpet but will perform better on hard floors.
- Dual-action AllTeq combination floorhead; ; includes a cushioning sole plate to avoid scratching delicate flooring materials
- 18-foot extensible cord; capable of cleaning 30 feet radius
- Anti-static metallic wand; prevents sharing static electricity between vacuum and the user
- Thermal protection; the canister vacuum comes with a temperature regulator system to prevent the motor from overheating
- High suction power; capable of removing lint and embedded dirt
- High suction power; 1,100 watts
- Detachable cord and wand for convenient storage
- The dust bags that come with the vacuum is not reusable
- The Canister Vacuum doesn’t perform efficiently on thick, soft flooring such as pile carpets and soft rugs
- Expensive; average cost is US$400
Why Pick This – This vacuum works best on low pile-carpet and hard floors, you can easily customize it with the six suctioning mode for different types of hard floors.
#3 Miele Complete C2 Electro +
Miele Complete C2 Electro is second on the amazing Miele canister vacuums series. The series comprises of 3 vacuums which are C1, C2, and C3. Due to Miele Complete C2 Electro maneuverability, it considered being ideal for cleaning carpets and hardwood floors. Similar to its sister in the Miele C series; Miele Pure Suction, it also comes with a 6-steps dial to tune the cleaner to suit current task.
This is one of the best environmentally-friendly canister vacuum cleaners on the market, it is equipped with a HEPA system to generate clean air while in use. There is more to Miele Complete C2 Electro + than meets the eye. Further benefits and disadvantages are listed below.
- Lightweight; average weight is 8 pounds
- Powerful suction engine 1200 watts
- Detachable cord and wand for convenient storage
- Equipped with Parquet Twister XL Floor Brush
- 3 additional attachments for extended functionalities;Sbb parquet-3 hard floor nozzle. Telescopic suction wand and Electro telescopic tube
- Very expensive; average price is US$700
- Components on the vacuum cleaner are proprietary; replaceable only by the manufacturer
Why Pick This – Miele Complete C2 Electro + is one of the top recommended vacuum by carpet manufacturers, comes with electro-bush for intensive deep cleaning.
#4 Miele Complete C3 Calima
This is the last in the Miele canister vacuums series and probably the best in the series. Though Miele Complete C3 Calima is an all-around vacuum cleaner that can clean every type of floor. It still performs better than most vacuums in cleaning super soft rugs and plush carpets.
The cleaner features filter bags and HEPA filtering system; 99.99% dust-free air is guaranteed. It inherits all features of the first two vacuum cleaners in the series.
- High suction power; 1200 W
- Telescoping wand to clean smaller dirt and reach hard-to-reach places
- HEPA and filter bag
- Addition tools; dustbin brush, crevice tool, and an upholstery tool
- Pure Suction Floorhead for smooth and hard surface
- Foot switch and speed control
- Expensive; the average cost is US$700
- Components are proprietary and also expensive to replace once damaged
Why Pick This – Miele Complete C3 Calima is suitable for rugs, all types of smooth floor, and low to medium pile carpets.
#5 Bissell Hard Floor Expert 1547
Bissell Hard Floor Expert 1547 is currently considered the best bagless canister vacuum on the market; customers’ feedbacks have certified this. The vacuum offers better grip and controls while using it to clean, and it also allows cleaning faster with its 9-inch nuzzle. The 9.2 amps motor that powers it gives it more suction capability.
Easy dumping of dirt is another feature unique to Bissell Hard Floor Expert. There is a dirt tank at the bottom of the canister which allows quick and easy disposal of dirt.
- Multi-cyclonic technology; this helps to separate dust and debris to avoid clogging in the wand or the hose
- Swivel cleaning head for better contact with flat surface
- Transparent canister to see suctioned debris
- Good grip on wand; comes with a handle
- The dirt cup can hold up to 68 ounces of dirt/debris
- It is equipped with turbine foot to prevent scratching on delicate surfaces
- Suitable for hardwood floors
- Onboard tools for easy access
- Lightweight and portable; can be easily stored away
- No suction control
- Wheels don’t drag much smoother
Why Pick This – This vacuum is suitable for all various types of floor; the turbine foot provides gentle handling for hard floor types.
#6 Bissell Zing Bagged Canister vacuum
Bissell Zing Bagged Canister Vacuum is a sibling to the Bissell Hard Floor Expert 1547 but with dustbag. The bagged feature helps to improve air quality and reduce the rate of disposing dirt while cleaning. It is also better than its sibling in terms of the 10-amps motor; more suction power.
This canister vacuum works for both hard and soft surface cleaning, and you can switch within these functionalities within seconds. The button to get this done is located at the base of the wand for convenience. Bissell Zing clearly worth more than its value.
- Very cheap; average price is US$50
- Full-bag indicator; the feature helps to know when to dispose dirt
- Easy switching between floor types
- Automatic cord rewinding; makes the vacuum portable for storage
- The cleaner also comes with a telescopic wand
- Multiple option dial-control
- No grip handle like in Bissell Hard Floor Expert 1547
- Absence of wheels
- No flat base; may tip over while in operation
Why Pick This – Bissell Zing Bagged Canister vacuum is suitable for cleaning bare floor and it can also be used to clean upholsteries.
#7 Dyson Big Ball Animal Canister Vacuum
While other vacuums have been built to clean all types of dirt with equal efficiency, Dyson Big Ball is particularly built to remove pet hairs from your home. Thus it is the best vacuum cleaner for pet hairs and carpet cleaning. This brand is an expert for uprights; read our article about canister vs upright vacuum, if you are still unsure which one to get.
Disposing dirt after cleaning is super easy with Dyson Big Ball; you can clean out the chamber without stress. What is also peculiar to this particular canister vacuum cleaner is the Dyson cinetic model; this feature makes the vacuum cleaner appear more attractive among its peers. The model also gives the cleaner a self-righting feature; it will stand upright when not tilted by someone. This also prevents it from tipping over while in operation.
- Articulated wand handle; gives you 360-degree maneuverability while cleaning
- Bagless feature makes it portable and simple to operate
- Extensive cord length; 21 feet
- Self-right feature to stand upright when toppled
- Extensible hose; 10 feet
- Carbon fiber turbine head
- Attractive model
- 5-years warranty
- Expensive; the average cost is US$400
- The model and component of the vacuum cleaner are proprietary
- The turbine tool, with its bristle type, may often clog while in contact with rugs
Why Pick This – Dyson Big Ball Animal Canister Vacuum is idea for cleaning tasks that requires high suction power, e.g., embedded dirt, pet hair, etc.
#8 Severin Germany Nonstop Corded
Feature that makes this vacuum cleaner stand out is power efficiency; despite this, it still has high suction power to get rid of adamant dirt. Severin Germany Nonstop Corded is suitable for hard floors and alike. The vacuum is also one of the few that comes with HEPA filters to ensure pure air while in operation. Best serve users with allergies.
The vacuum cleaner is also equipped with various accessories to extend and switch between its functionalities. Severin Germany Nonstop Corded has all it required to call it an excellent vacuum cleaner. The accessories are great and practical to use.
- Noiseless; has a sound-muffling subsystem
- HEPA filter; air produced is 99.95% pure and free of contaminants like pollen, spores, mold, etc
- Multi-cyclone technology
- Additional components; XL parquet nozzle, 3-part accessory set, etc
- Durable filter and easy disposing mechanism
- Cord length too short
- Doesn’t works good on carpets
Why Pick This – Severin Germany Nonstop Corded is suitable for cleaning dusty environment because of its high dust absorption rate.
#9 Electrolux Silent Performer EL4021A
If you prioritize noise while using a vacuum cleaner, then this is one of the best silent vacuum cleaners on the market. It also comes with other specs that make it a great vacuum cleaner for varieties of floor. It is portable and weighs 18 pounds.
Despite its powerful motor; 1080 watts, Electrolux Silent Performer EL4021A still generate less noise.
- Powerful suction engine; 1080 watts, draws less than 10 amps energy
- Retractable power cord
- Compact model
- Additional tools; crevice tool, upholstery nozzle, and dustbin brush
- Easy dirt-disposing mechanism
- Telescopic wand
- HEPA air filter system
- Wide nozzles; 12-inch cleaning path
- Suction control dial
- 5-year warranty
- Not good for plush carpets
- Cord length quite short
Why Pick This – Electrolux Silent Performer EL4021A is people who need easy-to-use vacuum cleaner and with low maintenance.
#10 Oreck Commercial BB900DGR XL
Oreck Commercial BB900DGR XL is a vacuum cleaner to clean on the go. The vacuum cleaner is lightweight and compact; it can be strapped on the shoulder while cleaning. The wand is extensible to clean wider radius.
This small package is very light weight and powerful and so we recommend to keep it away from children. The built quality makes it for a longer buy, so it is going to last for years if you are not in mind to dump it.
- Great power for such a small package
- 30 inches power cord; allows the user to cover extensive area
- 4 feet hose to clean overhead area
- 2-stage bypass motor; for better vacuuming capability
- Shoulder strap is a little annoying
- One cannot use it until hanged on shoulder because it bounces when kept on floor
Why Pick This – This vacuum is suitable for various types of floor, it is also the vacuum cleaner to take along on a journey because of its compact design.
Cleaning is a repeated activity and may consume time if not done with efficient tools. These ten canister vacuums can serve your daily cleaning needs and help you get it done quickly and more efficiently